Sunday, November 27, 2005

Santouka (Costa Mesa, Ca)



Santouka is located in the food court of the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Costa Mesa, CA. This noodle house is regarded in Japan as being one of the best places to go for ramen, and they woud know! If the only ramen your familiar with is Marochan or Top Ramen Cup Noodles, then you are truly, truly missing out. First, rent the 1987 Asian cult classic film Tampopo (available through Netflix) so that you can see all the preperation that goes into making the perfect bowl of ramen. My Santoka favorites are the Shio Ramen and the Shoyu Ramen. After I've cleared my bowl of it’s Chasu (pork), fish cake, bamboo, green onions, sliced mushrooms, and noodles, I like to slurp up the delicious broth...it doesn't get much better than that, especially on a chilly December evening. When I'm finished I usually stroll over to the grocery store and pick up some Japanese specialties items like Kirin Ichiban Beer, Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream, Sake, or any of the numerous candies. Also, after 5pm the Bento Box’s are marked down, but practice some restraint and leave a few for me!